International Day of People with Disability (IDPwD) 2023 is just around the corner, and it’s a special time for us all.
This year’s theme is “United in action to rescue and achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for, with, and by persons with disabilities.” It’s about coming together to make a positive change and ensure everyone, including you, is included in our journey towards a better future.
If you’re looking for enjoyable and meaningful IDPwD activities to participate in, here are some great ideas to start with.
30 November 2023
Mambourin’s International Day of People with Disability celebrations*
Werribee Community Hub
11 Walls Rd, Werribee
*Please note – this event has been postponed due to wet weather – stay tuned for a new date early 2024
If you’re a member of our Mambourin Community or a carer of one of our members, here’s what you can look forward to:
- Dance and drama shows. Our dance team and drama group are ready to show you their cool moves and fun plays. You’re going to love watching them!
- Fun activities. Want to dance? Join our easy dance class. Like games or cooking? We have those, too! There’s something fun for everyone.
- Art and photos. If you’re interested in art and photography, don’t miss this chance to see a display of creativity. It’s a great opportunity to appreciate different expressions and maybe find something that speaks to you.
- Sausage sizzle. We’re cooking tasty sausages! It’s the perfect treat to keep your energy up throughout the day.
- Drinks and snacks. Need a rest? Come to our café. We have tea, coffee, and snacks. It’s a nice place to sit and enjoy the day.
And remember, if you need special food or drinks, you can bring your own. We want everyone to be happy and comfortable.
To RSVP, email us at email@example.com.
1 December 2023
Disability Sport & Recreation Festival
10 am – 2 pm
Yarra Promenade, Southbank
The Disability Sport & Recreation Festival in Southbank offers a day full of sports, fun, and meeting new people. Some of the festival activities will include:
- Try different sports. Ever wanted to try a new sport? This is your chance! The festival offers a chance to try different inclusive sports and recreational activities. Whether you’re new to sports or an enthusiast, there’s something for everyone.
- Meet paralympians. Take the opportunity to meet actual Paralympians and ambassadors. Engage with them, hear their stories, and draw motivation from their experiences.
- Watch the Wheelchair Rugby Challenge. Watch how teams showcase their skills and teamwork as they play rugby in wheelchairs!
To learn more about this event, visit the Disability Sport & Recreation website.
2 December 2023
Her Run – International disability day
10 am – 11 am
25 Corio Street Moonee Ponds
This event is all about celebrating everyone and sharing stories. Here’s what’s happening:
- Running and walking. Her Run offers a series of running and walking events designed for all. Whether you prefer a brisk pace or a stroll, these events are a fantastic way to get active and enjoy the outdoors.
- Yoga and talks. Following the run, unwind with a calming yoga session for your body and mind. Also, the International Disability Day event features informal talks with special guests. They’ll share stories and talk about health and wellbeing–a great chance to learn and meet new people.
You can check Her Run’s official Instagram page for more details.
1:30 pm – 4:30 pm
Northcote Social Club
301 High St
If you love energetic music, you’ll enjoy Rudely Interrupted’s live performance. These whacky rockers are known for their incredible music and amazing shows.
For other details about the event, visit the Rudely Interrupted tour page.
The Better Together Festival
3 pm – 10 pm
The Hamilton Botanic Gardens
French Street, Hamilton
For a day of fun, music, and community spirit, the Better Together Festival is what you’re looking for. Here’s what’s in store:
- Music and entertainment. Enjoy performances from local talents like The Settlement’s Adrian & Matty ft Albert Calvano, Soulty & Adam, Alannah Olivia, Temper Street Band, Phil Holmes, and DJ Duo Isaiah & Tyler. There’s music for everyone’s taste!
- Special guest. The festival is proud to have Milly Tapper, a former Hamilton girl and dual Olympic and Paralympic table tennis player, as the ambassador and MC for the event.
- Fun for kids. There are lots of activities for children! They can meet a roving mermaid, jump around in a castle, get their face painted, and play lawn games.
- Delicious food. Hungry? Enjoy tasty treats from The Speckled Frog, the Spud Bowl, the Rox Coffee Van, and Lion Club Hamilton.
For more details, visit Better Together Inc.
3 December 2023
3CR Disability Day Broadcast
7 am – 7 pm
3CR Community Radio
21 Smith Street
If you prefer to stay in and still want to be part of the IDPwD 2023 celebrations, the 3CR Disability Day Broadcast is a perfect option. Tune in to 3CR Community Radio for a special 12-hour broadcast dedicated to the disability community.
You can listen to:
- Stories, discussions, and insights all centred around the community.
- Health and health sovereignty, particularly for First Nations disabled people and others on unceded Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander lands.
For more details, call 94198377 or visit 3CR Disability Day 2023.
All Abilities Day
11 am – 6 pm
iFLY Melbourne Indoor Skydiving
2 Burns Street
Want to feel like you’re flying? Come to the iFLY Indoor Skydiving event, where everyone is welcome to soar.
iFLY creates an inclusive environment where flying is made safe and enjoyable for all. They have expert instructors guiding you who know how to make flying safe and memorable for everyone. They help you feel the freedom of flight in a secure setting.
For more details, call 0423340519 or check out iFLY Indoor Skydiving.
9 December 2023
2023 Trivia Night
6 pm – 10 pm
Vision Australia Conference Room
454 Glenferrie Road
This trivia night event is another fun way to continue celebrating IDPwD 2023. Activities include:
- Fun trivia games. It’s an evening filled with exciting trivia questions! It’s a great way to test your knowledge, have fun, and meet new people.
- Food and drinks. Your ticket includes light snacks and pizza to enjoy while you play. Soft drinks and alcoholic drinks are available for purchase. Please remember you can’t bring your alcohol due to licensing rules.
More fun ways to get involved with the community at Mambourin
Looking for more ways to connect with others? Check out our Community Choices for fun group activities.
Love being active? Our Leisure and Recreation Choices have lots of exciting things to do.
And if you like making friends and trying new hobbies, our Social and Interest Choices are perfect. Come to Mambourin and join in the fun today!